Friday, July 29, 2011

Today I Found My Friend

I hope I didn't bore you last time, because I enjoyed talking to you. This post is going to sort of have to do with music.

When I was a teenager I had a guy friend who was a really good guitarist. I'm still shaky on how he managed to do it, but he could hook his amp up to the phone he had somehow. He would play for me at night, when we were both bored and had nothing better to do than talk on the phone. He was a really nice guy. I always wondered why he never called his girlfriend to do that...my parents wondered what we could have to talk about. Hoenstly, we weren't talking too much. It was like having my own personal radio. Its his fault that I like Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I would probably have not heard of them until much later if it hadn't been for him. Also, given my terribly strict upbrining, I would have not liked them instinctively. My church and my parents would have told me that they were bad bands to listen to. Come to think of it, I know that it contributed in part to me questioning the values of my family and church, because I didn't see what was wrong with the music he was playing for me. It certainly wasn't devil worship, and it didn't make me want to go do drugs and have sex and stuff like they told me it was.

I had another friend who introduced me to Oasis. I remember him telling me that the song Champagne Supernova was his whole life. He was a rough kinda guy. Honestly, I was suprised he talked to me. I was a huge loser, even if I was a cheerleader. He didn't seem to mind. Anyway, I started lsitening to Oasis trying to figure out what he meant. It wasn't until much later in my life that I realized what he was talking about.

You'll laugh to know that I feel in love with Weezer and the Beastie Boys because of a teen magazine. My grandma subscribed me to something like Seventeen (maybe Tiger Beat? I don't remember now) and there were interviews with both the bands. I was interested enough that I had a friend of mine who's parents were way more relaxed about music take some of my allowance and go get me a couple tapes. Yeah, tapes. My first CD was the Batman Forever soundtrack. Sad, huh?

I went through a period of time when I was obsessed with ringtones. I remember that my ex BBD- his ringtone was Plush by STP. Rogue had several. Lips of an Angel, which was sort of our song, but not for the reason you'd think, was her first one. I know she had I Kissed a Girl by Katy Perry for a while. Then A Mili, which was one of my favorite songs she blared on her car stereo when we went out. I remember my ringtone on her phone was Walk it Out. I've yet to figure out why she chose that one for me. My mom's ring tone was Hide and Seek. Beloved- my longtime ex- her ringtone was Reason is Treason by kasabian. I suppose you could say i'm as passive agressive with my ringtone selections as I am in every other part of my life.

When I was in high school I did debate. I think I've told you that. My junoir and senior year, before rounds, I would listen to The Offspring before rounds. I'll let you figure out which album I listened to. It turned out, the louder, angrier the music I listened to, the easier it was for me to speak afterwards. I was never without my CD player in the halls. Yeah, there weren't IPods yet, either. When I exercise I like alternative too. Or rap. I like it a lot. When I used to hit the treadmill I'd listen to Notorious KIM. For some reason I would run longer and faster if I was listening to her.

That's all I have time for now. I want to tell you more. I want to tell you about music and me. About me singing opera and what classical music does to me. I want to tell you who I can't stand listening to and who I love. I want to tell you all about who I sing when I go karaoke and what I was like the first time I did it. I have to wait until tonight.

I'm thinking of you today. I'll have a song in my heart for you.

What song, do you think, reminds you most of me?
AGxx

No comments:

Post a Comment