Friday, July 8, 2011

Commas, Flowers and Bliss

I went to Lowes yesterday and we bought a lot more plants. I am so happy right now. In case the laundry list interests you, I got wisteria and trumpet vines for my arbour. Some ornamental grass and three more rosebushes, including one that smells delicious. I also got some more hedges to finish off trimming the yard. I'm so excited. I'll probably bore you with pictures the minute I get a second to take them.

The Lord and Lady must be listening to me, because I made good money at work today, even though we were really slow. Also, it looks like I might actually get off the night I asked for, even though it didn't look like it was in the cards. I also had a coworker ask when I supervised next, because she likes it when I supervise. It made my evening much more plesant, I felt like I was doing something right. The more I try to focus myself on improving my attitude and karma at work, the better things seem to be going. I don't know if this is my mindset, and that's making things better, or if I'm being rewarded for trying harder. Maybe its both.

I do have to rant for a moment. I don't know if I've got any grammer nerds following me, but the Oxford Styleguide's newest edition just got published, and would you believe they want to get rid of the Oxford comma? (The serial comma, for those of you who aren't familiar with the geek term) How am I supposed to make cohesive lists? This is silly. Not to mention it says you can use the Oxford comma if it clarifies the sentence. Well, can I use it, or not? I hate that there is no clearly drawn line, and I like it even less that its not supposed to be used at all. They cite the fact that many American and Australian journalists and publishers have already moved away from the serial comma in print. I agree. And it looks sloppy. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

Also, had an interesting conversation with one of my old blogger buddies this evening. She was chatting with me on FB, and we were talking about how our blogring feels like family. I completely agree. I think its awesome and beautiful that I have so many friends from all over the world, simply because we began reading each other's blogs. I love to watch their lives change for the better. I love that they've seen me grow into a mature, happy woman.

I think its nice to know there are people out there who are friends with me not because we were in close proximity to eachother, but because we came across eachother and cared enough to keep in touch. If you're here, its because you want to be. You want to know about my life and opinions. I'm special to you, I'm interesting to you. That's awesome. You make the effort to know me better, and when I follow you I am doing it because I care about the things that happen to you. The distance isn't an issue. I've always thought it would be fun, just once, to have a blogger friend meet up, to talk to the people I've known for so long but never had the chance to see. Of all the people I've met over the years, only one of them have I had the chance to meet in person. We saw eachother for about four hours while I was laid over on a flight home. It was a good time. I'd like to see all of my friends eventually.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how blessed I am. My life has been getting better and better. I know I whine here, but its my space, and that's part of what its for. But the things I want now, they're different than before. I don't worry about food, or whether or not I can keep my car because I'll have no way to get to work. I don't have to worry about my drinking problem, or how the person I'm in a relationship with doesn't love me. I worry about getting a second car, or how long it will take me to finish school and start my career. I worry about whether or not I'm ever going to sit down and finish my second book. I worry about whether or not I'm going to get a vacation this summer, or this fall. Those are nice things to worry about, when I put it in perspective from when I started blogging all those years ago.

I have a beautiful home. I have two wonderful, supportive partners who take good care of me. Thank god, (and you know I'm grateful my dear) I'm never going to have to call Perpet ever again because I'm sick and I need someone to take care of me and she's the only one I have. I'm never going to wake up in the morning and worry that my partners don't love me, because they tell me, and they show me, every day.

Now, more than ever, I have a fantastic group of friends who care about me. We share interests. I can count on them when I'm feeling low. They're there to give me good, sound advice and grow as a person. They balance my life, they give me perspective. They understand me. And they are fun as hell to be around, to boot. Never before in my life have I had so many friends. I've never been in a place where I knew more people who love me than who don't. I've never known myself to be able to pick up my phone and know the person on the other line wants to be close to me, trusts me, and deserves my trust too.

I'm a very lucky woman. Sometimes I feel like I'm terribly ungrateful for all the beautiful things I have. I'm glad I have enough perspective now to see that things in my life are pretty amazing.

I hope tonight you find something in your life worth being thankful for.

AGxx

4 comments:

  1. I'm lucky to know you, too. *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I don't like the Oxford Comma much, but there are circumstances when it can really clarify a sentence. Compare the meaning of:

    "I'd like to thank my parents, Sinead O'Connor and the Pope"

    to

    "I'd like to thank my parents, Sinead O'Connor, and the Pope".

    The latter removes an unfortunate ambiguity, no?

    I'm not sure that English works like that where you can just decree that something isn't correct any more. That's how French works. English has been a much more malleable and flexible language, and that's one of the reasons it has been so successful. It evolves and usage changes over time.... the oxford comma may not be as much used, but that doesn't make it wrong. It will die out in its own time, as I fear may some of the apostrophes..... (already we have one apostrophe s that has effectively been dropped, and the rest are sure to follow eventually....)

    Love you too, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with swisslet from beginning to end. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very wise, Aravis. Very wise. I've always known you were smart..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete