Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Make My World Stop

I know I've been rather quiet this last month so I thought I would drop in. I've had a nasty combination of tons of headaches and lots of work. None of these things do much to improve my disposition, so I suppose it is for the better than I wasn't around to be grumpy. Piled on top of that I've had an unusual amount of beta work, which keeps me fairly busy. Of course,  I took that on myself, but I wasn't expecting some of the projects I took on to be so time consuming. Most of those are done now, though, and it gives me the opportunity to do a little more writing on my own, which I am happy for.

The majority of my non-sick time has been spent planning our trip for May and June. I don't know if I mentioned it or not. Since Kitten is graduating, Kmom is taking us on an 18 day trip. We've decided to go to South Carolina. We're going to spend a majority of it camping, though we'll be roughing it in hotels in Charleston. I'm really excited about the trip.

We're planning on doing some historic tours and some ghost tours as well. We'll get a chance to explore a city I have long been wanting to visit. Once we finish up there we'll be going to Hunting Island to camp, a great place for hiking, bird watching, paddling and enjoying the outdoors. We'll head to Columbia next, to check out the capitol city and explore the area around Sesquicentennial State Park. There's a lot to see and do. I've been banking on a trip to their zoo, which is one of the top rated ones in the US by travelers. So it should be a good time. After we hit the capitol, we're planning on moving up to the mountain region. This is the part I am really looking forward to. We're going to spend five days exploring trails, waterfalls and the mountain region. We're going to white water raft the Chattooga River, which should be an exciting time, and enjoy the upper country to its fullest.

Most people would probably not consider this a very relaxing time, but I am looking forward to it. While we're away I'm going to try and quit smoking. I figure if I can be distracted and entertained for 18 days without smoking, I've got it made. I think I can do it.

Work has been...well, interesting. ABC office is certainly different. I no longer feel like a moron, though sometimes I think some of the staff still think I am. It irritates me that some people will judge my intelligence based on my lack of a college degree, but there you go. It makes me want one more, that's for certain. Either way, I've learned my way around the office, made a few friends and I've discovered I understand a lot more than I give myself credit for. I'll admit to some days feeling frustrating, because I cannot work without supervision because I have not the discretion to decide which things to keep and which to get rid of. There seems to be a reluctance to pack things away. Having been through a couple office moves before, I know this is going to lead to a hectic end of my employ. However, I do not call the shots, so I can only wait and see how things go. Maybe I'll be wrong. (I doubt it, though.)

Otherwise, life moves on at its slumbering pace. I've gotten next to no writing done, though I have an excellent beta who is working with me on my old MS and giving me fabulous feedback. Every now and again what I need is a good whipping over my writing, and she's helping me there. I love support, but a little straight shooting never hurts. Its improving my writing, certainly.

Yesterday I also talked to Flyguy for the first time in months. Since I stopped working at Casa Bueno I've seen less and less of him. I expected a little of that, because he is a busy person and so am I. I didn't expect for him to drop off the face of the planet, though. That was annoying. And disappointing. Of course, I've always been one of those people who believes that friendship is a two way street and I won't be the one to put in all the effort. There's no point in that. I won't chase after someone when I have a life full of people who actually WANT to see me. Still, I confess I was a little disappointed. He's gottten himself a girlfriend. She's not the person I would have picked out, and I think she is way to young but that's not my call either. Between her and work he's had no time for me. So I stopped bothering.

And then yesterday. I went to pick up Oscelot from work and when I came in I smiled at him and Mr. Boss and he came over and sat down and talked to me. It felt strange, because I hadn't spoken to him in so long. He asked a bunch of questions about how I am doing, though I am sure he could have gotten any of what I told him from Oscelot if he had asked her. He made sure to tell me how very busy he had been and then apologize for not talking to me. On the one hand, I feel like I'm being a jerk when I feel like he's mouthing platitudes, but then, I think I'm right too. We'll see. I expect he'll drop by later this week or early next if he truly means to try and make things up. Either way, I've talked the whole situation over with Sakura, and I've resigned myself to the fact that he's really not going to be a part of my life unless I throw myself in his way. And I won't do that.

In the meantime, I've got tons of spellwork I need to be working on, and I have lessons to plan and a book to write. I also have one to edit. I've got plenty to do before we head off into the wilds of South Carolina (including convincing my mom I'm not going to die while on the trip!). Kitten and I just passed the five year dating mark, and I'm happy about that. Its amazing how fast time moves when you aren't looking. It is a wonderful thing. I'm so lucky to have her.

I hope everyone here is having a pleasant new year so far and has a lot of fun things to be out doing and enjoying.

AGxx

No comments:

Post a Comment